Thursday, February 16, 2012

♫...We've got the right to choose, and there ain't no way we'll lose it...♫


    This is not going to be the usual silly, naughty Things I Love Thursday. No. I am so sick of rich, overly conservative, white dudes telling me what I can do with my body. I'm also sick of people who think that the contraceptive issue is not important. These people are making women's bodies, women's right to do with their bodies as they please a political war zone. If you don't think this issue is important, you're an idiot. If you're a woman and you don't think it's important, you need more help than I can professionally give. This is not the only issue, with the Blunt Amendment, they will give insurers and employers (ALL, not just religious based) the right to deny any type of coverage they see fit to deny based on their 'moral convictions'. That doesn't just mean not covering birth control. No, let me break it down to you this way: Say I'm a sexually active, unmarried, female. I work for an employer who believes that it is immoral for me to have sex outside of marriage. Not only can he choose to not have my insurance cover any of my birth control, he can deny coverage for me to have cervical cancer screenings that could save my life. Its not just the women folk who need to worry about this amendment though. If you smoke, if you're obese, if you need psychologcal treatment...and you're employer has a moral 'objection' (moral disgust would cover the smoking and obesity factors) to those issues. You're out of luck. HIV patients? Denied because you're employer thinks you brought it on yourself. Maternity care? Fuck you. 

It'll start with birth control...then it will get worse, I assure you. If you've never read The Handmaid's Tale, I suggest you pick it up and read it with the seriousness that it deserves...because that is where we're headed. If you think that it's not possible. If you think the things in that book are so far out there that they would never happen in America...you're not paying attention. If you're not horrified and terrified of the things being decided for you by our government, you are not paying attention. You should be chilled to your bones with fear.

Now, things I love:

"What I want to know is, where are the women?" Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) asked Issa before walking out of the hearing after the first panel. "I look at this panel, and I don't see one single individual representing the tens of millions of women across the country who want and need insurance coverage for basic preventative health care services, including family planning. Where are the women?"

  •  The Testimony Chairman Issa Doesn't Want You to Hear:


The video summarizes the testimony Chairman Issa rejected at today's hearing: Sandra Fluke, who would have been the Minority's witness and the only female voice on behalf of millions of women who seek safe and affordable coverage for preventive health care. Visit Democrats.Oversight.House.Gov to read more.

  • #CreativeBirthControl: One of Santorum's backers stated that back in his day women used aspirin between their legs for birth control. In response to this absurdity (and a great look into the minds of the men deciding on the fate of millions of women), twitter blew up with this hash tag.  If we didn't take a few moments to laugh at the idiocy and small mindedness, we'd never stop crying...or screaming.


  • This quote from the President


"No, you can't deny women their basic rights and pretend it's about you
'Religious Freedom'. If you don't like birth control, don't use it.
Religious freedom doesn't mean you can force others to live by your own beliefs.



I think our rallying war song should be this, ladies:




EDIT: Just ran across this article that I think you all should read: How The GOP Went Back To The 1950s In Just One Day.

7 comments:

Iconic Marquee said...

Every time you post something like this, I'm horribly torn.

On one hand, I totally agree with everything you just said.

On the other hand, I can't shout and wave my arms like the rest of your minions due to the unfortunate presence of my penis.

The result is my slightly shouting and waving my arms, but not too much lest someone notice the male in their midst.

Life is hard. >.>

In all seriousness, stuff like this annoys me. Why is stuff like this even allowed to become an issue?

There should just be a special branch of government just for these awful people.

It should have no power and very little funding, and it should allow them to argue about their want to take away another person's rights in private, away from the actually useful politicians.

Whiskey Sour said...

No! No! Your penis is not an issue! We need awesome men shouting and waving your arms! I'm a huge fan of the penis! It's going to take a combined effort of pissed off women & awesome, supportive men to thwart these idiots!

Iconic Marquee said...

Huzzah for love and equality!

I presume you'll be bringing the vodka and shotguns?

Whiskey Sour said...

Vodka, yes. Shotguns, no. I'm very accident prone, so I'm libel to shoot my face off on accident. I NEED SUPERVISION!

Scooter said...

I'LL mant the shotguns! Say hello to a state-registered sharpshooter!!! :D I got this. ;)

I depend on birth control for my health. Any woman can understand the benefits of it if they've ever taken it. I also take it out of fear. After becomming pregnant once by rape, I have decided to take birth control until I get married and the time is right to have a child.

It's important for so many women in this country for health and family planning. I hate stupid people.... Ugh.

Whiskey Sour said...

Amen, and pass the ammunition, my friend! I need it for a medical condition...but I have no insurance so I'm just having to suffer through it...and that sucks, but I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who had to have it for something life threatening, or if they didn't take it they could lose an ovary due to a rupture! I just can't imagine what these assholes are thinking. If it wasn't for birth control, my abusive ex would have had me pregnant and forced into marriage and probably dead by now.

I am sorry that you had to go through that experience. You're an awesome lady and I think you rock so hard!

Amanda said...

There are so many things I want to say, but most of it has already been said.

When I was still a virgin, at the age of 18, my doctor thought it fit to put me on birth control as I had horrible cramps and very heavy bleeding and....cysts. I did not become sexually active until 19. These idiots think birth control is just for sexually active females and it is not. And even if it was, what is so wrong with a woman taking her body into her own hands and insuring she doesn't have an unplanned pregnancy? I'm not even going to discuss what happened to me when I was 20 years old because i might just lose it at this moment in time.

I get so angry about this topic. No birth control? No abortion? Let's all just go back to the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant and drink martinis all day, pop valium and smoke like fiends.....obviously, this is what these backward Regressives want of women. Can I punch them in the face? Please?!

i'm ranting and rambling. sorry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...