Saturday, December 3, 2011

♫...don't you cry no more...♫

I haz a sad.

Almost 13 years ago (March of 1999 to be precise) I got a tiny little Pomeranian (who turned out to be more German Spitz than Pom) and I named him Xander, after one of my favorite characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Yes, I wore a lot of eye shadow. I was 19!
I was working weird hours at that time, and so Xander spent a good amount of time with my mother and father, and subsequently became their dog. They insisted that he was Zander with a Z, because we all called him Z. So, Xander became Zander and abandoned me for my parents.

Mum and Z
Since moving back in with my parents, Z and I have not been on the best of terms. In fact, I've referred to him as 'devil dog' a few times on this very blog. I'm not retracting that statement, he deserved it.

Lately, Zander has taken to following me around and sleeping outside the door of whatever room I'm in. He hasn't been doing so well, you see. He is practically deaf and blind and he can't jump up on things like he could when he was younger. Today I found him laying in the floor just outside of the kitchen. He was just laying there with his eyes open and shivering, as if he was in pain. I sat and talked to him and pet him for a long time. He tried to get up and move around but you could tell that he was in an immense amount of pain. My mother gave him some something and he seems to be doing a bit better. He's not shaking anymore. It just breaks my heart, and I'm afraid that he's not going to be with us much longer. He's a tough old thing, and he's proven us wrong before...so I can't help but hold out hope that he'll be with us just a while longer.


1 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope he does hold out for you a while longer. *hugs*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...