Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The word pretty is unworthy of everything you will be



I post this to my various 'social networking' sites every so often...again...and again.
Why?
I mean, some people get offended by some of the language. Some people make fun of me for doing so. Some people just don't 'get it'.
I post it over and over again because the message still isn't getting through. I post it over and over again because there are still so many people who need to hear it...and when they do hear it, they are moved and some feel, for the first time, that they are not alone in all the constant pressure and inevitable disappointment they feel from always trying to live up to someone else's definition of 'pretty'.
I post it for everyone who has ever been called ugly, or fat, or skinny, or anything else that makes them feel like less...because they don't live up to someone's fake, plastic, photoshopped, digitally enhanced unobtainable idea of perfection, that we are constantly told we are suppose to resemble.
I post it for every guy who has ever called me fat, behind my back or to my face. I post it as an answer. I will not let you make me feel like less of a human being any more. I will not starve myself or purge myself or hurt myself any more so that I can fit your warped ideas of what a woman is 'suppose' to look like. I don't care if you think I'm pretty.
...because 'pretty' is unworthy of everything I will be.


For a transcript of this poem, check out THIS BLOG.

4 comments:

...sarah. said...

Oh, my God, that is effing amazing... just like you.

Ruby LeBeau said...

Just like YOU, luv! {hugs}

Amanda said...

moved me to tears, babelicious! Love you, girl! xoxo

Ruby LeBeau said...

{{Hugs}} Imagine me singing Pink's song Perfect to you now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...