Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 7. A letter to a historical event/time.

Dear 'Gangster Era' of American History,


Were you really so glamorous? I mean, I look at the Hollywood version of you and I can't help but think that you and I were meant to be together. The clothes and hair styles that they put the beauties of Hollywood (Angie and Marion for example) in are the types of styles that I most long for. The cars...oh my god, the CARS! The cars and the clothes are enough to make me love you, but then Hollywood throws the men in three piece suits and hats at me! I can't resist a man in a 'gangster' outfit...and Hollywood gives them to me in abundance: Johnny (as John Dillinger), Christian (as Charlie 'Lucky' Luciano), Patrick (as Meyer Lansky), and Richard (as Benjamin 'Bugsy' Siegel), and Al (as the fictional Michael Corleone), just to name a few.


I have spent many an hour thinking happy thoughts about handsome Italian and Irish men decked out in three piece suits, their hats pulled down low...running speakeasies...and me with pin curls and a lovely green satin dress (finally found one without Beeel in the picture).


I even wrote a parody of your era, but set in these modern times...it was called, "As The Cookie Crumbles". I was so enamored with Hollywood's depiction of you.


But Hollywood LIED.




Photobucket



While the cars and clothes and hairstyles are correct...I have yet to see anyone who even comes close to looking like Johnny Depp, or a young Al Pacino. Instead we have John, Charlie, Meyer, and Benny.




Photobucket



I have to tell you right here and now...I prefer the lie.




Photobucket



Affectionately Yours (but please don't mistake it as love or even a promise of a kiss goodnight),
Ruby

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I've often wondered the same thing. But I am partial to the Transcendentalist. did i even spell that right? Whatthefuckever, I find that movement so fascinating!

Ruby LeBeau said...

Have I told you lately how awesome you are?

Amanda said...

No, but you just did! :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...