Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happiness pulses with every beat of my heart.

Every morning I take Leonard and Sheldon out for their first 'happy fun play time' of the day. Normally, the sun has just fully climbed its way over the horizon and the entire back yard is bathed in its golden-orange glow. My babies pounce down the back steps, teetering a bit on their tiny little legs, their big ears bouncing around happy little puppy faces. Their tags jingle loudly from around the collars at their necks. I laugh and call them both 'jingle bells' as they dive into the herb garden. As usual, I have equipt myself with my baby blue iPod shuffle, my mother's pink crocks, and what I call my 'snake stick'. My snake stick is just a long, thin piece of what looks like bamboo. I use it in certain areas of our back yard to make sure I don't step on or disturb a snake while the boys and I roam. Today I turn on my iPod and make my way to the hammock as the pups flounce through the herb garden, completely invisible underneath the plants that grow there. The song that starts, moments after I sit down, feels melancholy, but I leave it playing because it is a sort of hopeful melancholy.  The rosemary seems more pungent this morning, and I inhale deeply as I marvel at the beauty of the golden, early morning sun on so much green. Moments later, Leonard and Sheldon emerge from the herbs and notice me sitting near. They run to me, tags jingling wildly, ears flopping, with happy puppy faces, and I can't help but to smile. I bend down to rub their sweet little heads and scratch cute beagle bellies. They want up on the hammock with me, so I scoop them both up and put them in my lap. They smell delightful with all the aromas of the herb garden clinging to their coats. I kiss their heads and smile. This is my joy, my time of harmony, and my sanctuary.  It's a time when I feel at peace. Leonard is the first to want down, as usual, but Sheldon sits with me a while longer as I stroke his back. In a while it will be time to go in and the three of us will eat our hard boiled egg and then cuddle up on the sofa for a while, but for now, we sit here and I am content.


2 comments:

Anamika said...

That is so very sweet. You are one lucky woman. Love the new look to the blog, btw. :)

Ruby LeBeau said...

Thanks, hon. I love those babies so much...but when I move after graduation, I have to leave them with Mum and dad...that's gonna break my heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...